Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Low Glycemic Index Smoothie Recipe - Dairy Free and Gluten Free




We love smoothies when it’s hot outside.  They are delicious in the morning for breakfast or as an afternoon snack.  The smoothies I make are low on the Glycemic Index (GI) and full of nutrients.  I follow a simple formula that is based on the smoothies at my favorite vegetarian restaurant in Hilton Head, Delisheee Yo, http://delisheeeyo.com.  If you have picky eaters in your house, this is a great way to get some more vegetables and nutrients in them. 



My formula (2 Servings):
2 Low GI fruits (berries, kiwi, apple, etc), Strawberry and Blueberry is a favorite combination in our house.  Fruits High on the GI are bananas, grapes, melons, etc.  We stay away from these fruits.
2 Tbls Gluten Free Organic Oats
1-2 Tbls Nuts (almonds are a favorite in our house.  Walnuts are good for added Omega-3's)
2 Tsp Chia Seeds (Pack your smoothie full of Omega-3's)
A handful of fresh organic greens, I like arugula because it gives the smoothie a peppery flavor.  Other options are spinach or kale.
1-2 Super Food Powders (spiralina, bee pollen, maca or acai) (Recently we have been using 1-2 tsp of acai powder)
1 Tsp Spice (I use cinnamon and/or turmeric) (For information on Turmeric click HERE)
2 Tsp Flax Oil
Liquid (coconut water, coconut milk or almond milk)
Ice if using fresh fruit (not necessary with frozen fruit)
**Note: I use all organic ingredients**

Blend in a high quality blender until smooth and desired consistency is reached.  Add liquid and ice as needed.


Try serving your delicious smoothie with my favorite eco-friendly stainless steel straws!!

Enjoy and Healthy Regards!!
© THRIVE: Natural Family Living

3 comments:

  1. Yum, the one you fixed this morning was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really,I appreciate for providing the great info in this website that to using the nice info in this blog. I definitely loved every little bit of it. 

    Vitamix

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this very useful info you have provided us. I will bookmark this for future reference and refer it to my friends. More power to your blog.
    Vitamix

    ReplyDelete